To create a safe, inviting, and sustainable environment for students and community to enjoy.
Projects and Grounds Committee Happenings:
- start food composting program in cafeteria - implemented in March 2010 after only one month, we were able to reduce our garbage by 4 cubic yards, translating to 32,400 pounds of garbage being diverted > from landfills in one year!
- replace slide on west playground with steering panel - installed March 2010
- work to replace invasive weeds with native plants all over campus - ongoing, Shelly Sharp's 5th Grade class worked with volunteer from the Native Plant Society to propagate native plants to be planted Fall 2010
- become a WA Green School - learn more at http://www.wagreenschools.org
- get greenhouse stocked and running for spring 2010 - started March 1, 2010, first annual plant sale May 22, 2010!
- maintain PTA room and hall closet - check out how great the PTA room is looking from our big end of the year clean up party
- clean out & organize the storage compartments in the two benches in the entry way at school
- clean out & organize the wooden desk and create a space for all the various office supplies in the PTA room - done - received a IKEA storage cabinet and have organized the office supplies in bins
- pressure wash chipped paint on south and east walls of building - will be completed summer 2010 as part of School Levy projects
- work on grant to paint mural on west side of building
- work on procuring rain barrels, worm bin, and raised bed/troughs for gardening near greenhouse
- create after-school gardening team of students "nature nuts"?
- create student garden art for beds, signs for greenhouse
- keep PTA refrigerators clean - ongoing - Check out the new mini fridge in the PTA room
- check out the new Discover Dance murals which were hung this last spring. Mural #1- Hung outside the school library along with previous years' Discover Dance plaques. Mural #2 - Hung in the northeast stairwell. Mural #3 - Hung in the southeast stairwell.
- work on rotating the rest of the murals in southwest stairwell
- also look for Ms Libby's 2010 class auction project - Kids do Kandinsky - hung on the west wall in the southeast stairwell.
- work on hanging donated Powerful Schools art tiles on chain link fence near greenhouse
- we need help with cafeteria composting! For those willing and able to get to school for lunch, this is a great way to help the school and planet. Contact Cambria if you're interested in doing a shift or two of compost duty.
- work on getting the international flags, lanterns and murals rehung in the lunchroom - working with Ms Morningstar, the school district and Cherrie Adams on this
- what would you like to see happen? let's do it!
Cambria Cox ten.tsacmoc|xocairbmac#ten.tsacmoc|xocairbmac
Rachel Harrison moc.liamg|nosirrahelehcar#moc.liamg|nosirrahelehcar
Deena McCloskey (PTA Board liaison)